The perfect base for a Scandinavian open-faced sandwich is no knead bread. It’s so easy to make and smells absolutely amazing. This is the perfect recipe for a beginner as it’s super easy yet impressive. The only thing you need is a cast iron casserole, no bread maker or stand mixer! The casserole is the secret behind the fantastic crust.
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 100g brown flaxseed
- 400g wholewheat flour
- 500g plain flour
- 1g yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 litre cold water
- Mix together the dry ingredients and add the water
- Knead for 10 minutes until you have a firm, but loose dough. It will be sticky but that’s the way it’s supposed to be!
- Using a kitchen towel, cover the bowl and leave it to rise overnight or at least eight hours. You can also leave it in the fridge, but this requires longer time to prove. At least 12 hours.
- Cover a surface with flour and pour out the dough. Fold the dough from the outsides in a couple of times. Cover it and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Place your cast iron casserole in the oven and heat it to 250°C.
- Once the dough has rested, carefully take the hot casserole out of the oven, sprinkle with flour and place the dough inside it. Put the lid on and bake for 40 minutes on the bottom shelf.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes.
- The bread is done when the crust is nice and golden. Let it cool on a rack and enjoy!