Waffles made in the shape of four hearts are classic to Scandinavia. In my childhood, they would only be served made with sugar and topped with sweet stuff like brunost or jam. Now, waffles or vafler are also commonly served with savoury toppings and are a nice treat in the packed lunch. Norwegians are big on packed lunches and the old bread and spread can get a bit boring, so why not swap the bread for waffles? This recipe is healthy and high in protein, which will keep you full for hours after lunch.
Ingredients for four waffles
- 100g oats
- 200ml boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cottage cheese
- 100ml almond milk
- 2 eggs
- Place the oats in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Fry the waffles using a little butter/coconut oil/Fry-light.
- Let the waffles cool and fill them with whatever you fancy for lunch!