Few things take me back more than waffles. They remind me of my mum, who made them almost every weekend. Sometimes topped with homemade jam made from berries picked one of our hikes. My favourite was bilberry, but I particularly recall an evening we made jam from cloudberries we had picked earlier that day, served it with warm cardamom waffles and watched a documentary on the Norwegian singer Ida Maria. This is probably ten years ago, and I don’t remember this evening for any other reason other than it being incredibly cosy. These everyday moments where nothing sensational happens, other than hygge, are just as important as the ones we photograph, post and talk about. I know there were many moments like this one, but they have blurred together in my memory. Smelling these waffles takes me back for a moment and I make sure to enjoy it.
Ingredients for four waffles
- 100g plain gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 100ml almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add the wet.
- Leave the mixture to thicken for 20 minutes whilst you heat your waffle maker.
- Fry the waffles using a little butter/coconut oil/Fry-light.
- Serve immediately with your favourite toppings or save them for your lunchbox!