The perfect base for a Scandinavian open-faced sandwich is rye bread. It goes well with both sweet and savoury toppings and is perfect for the lunchbox. Made with rye and wholewheat, it takes longer to digest than white bread and will keep you full for longer. Exactly what you need to keep fuelled during your day!
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 100g brown flaxseed
- 400g wholewheat flour
- 400g rye flour
- 100g oats
- 1/2 pack dried yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 litre cold water + extra for covering the seeds
- Pour the seeds into a mug and cover with water. Leave to soak for an hour
- Mix together the dry ingredients and add the water
- Knead for 10 minutes until you have a firm, but loose dough. It will be sticky but that’s the way it’s supposed to be!
- Using a kitchen towl, cover the bowl and leave it to rise for 1 hour in a draft free spot
- Using vegetable oil, grease two bread tins and transfer the dough once it’s proved
- Leave for another 30 minutes before sprinkling with seeds and baking for 60-75 minutes in the middle of the oven at 225°C
- Pay attention towards the end. The bread is done when you hear a hollow sound tapping the bottom
- Enjoy with savoury or sweet spreads. It’s brilliant both with cheese and jam!